Re: Free/OpenSource software?

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> But weren't Microsoft found to have breached Stac's patent, rather than
> stolen actual code? I think actual code would be harder to prove
> than infringement of a patent.

Hmmm, from what I remember they had just lifted whole code segments from
Stacker and popped it into DOS, then they got caught and had to withdraw
6.2 and recode for 6.21.  I'm not sure that Stac could have had a patent
on that kind of real-time compression/decompression, since I'd seen it
before then on other systems.

On the other hand, I could be senile.  I hope not.

-thomas