Re: PINE Debian Package

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 11:00:06PM -0400, Colin Telmer wrote:
> > Yes.  I'm one of those nuts who believes in reliable delivery  with an NFS
> > mounted mail spool. :-)  Also much more resilient, and less prone to
> > corruption and message loss.
>
> I have been using pine for years (no nfs spool) and have never ever
> experienceed corruption and mail loss due to pine. message loss to me is
> more of a mta problem, but that's beside the point.

That is exactly the point:  The MTA can lose mail.  maildir is a format
for a mailbox that makes it really hard for the MTA to lose it..  Sendmail
will still lose it if you screw up the configuration enough, but.  =>

Currently the only way to use maildir with sendmail is via the (excellent)
procmail patch.

> > If they indeed are "unix clueless", it will take forever for them to fathom
> > the idea of a VTY.  I can hear it now...  "pine?  Do I get that through
> > FTP or is it that telenet thingamajig?"  If they are indeed "unix clueless",
> > you'll run a POP or IMAP server and give them their pretty Windoze or Mac
> > mailers.
>
> Weak arguments. Moreover, most of it is subjective. I would prefer that
> _both_ pine and mutt be available. Let users decide. The only supported
> mailer at Queen's University is pine. Other places other choices. The
> emacs mailer vm is great, but do we want to impose people learn emacs to
> read mail? Basically pine is much more widely used then mutt. I think that
> even Elm beats out mutt in that regard. so why not _try_ to offer them all
> (I emphasis try as UoW seems to be making this hard to do with pine - your
> argument above is valid if the average user has to patch and compile it
> also:)).

I'll agree with that, but there is still a reason why pine is now a source
pkg thing.  I still say, do it like qmail-src and let people deal with it.

> I don't mean to fuel the debate, but pine also threads:) Try "$" and "o"
> while reading debian-user stuff.

Mutt's threading is "real".  Pine tries and does okay much of the time.