Re: PINE Debian Package

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Jason Costomiris wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 04:40:12PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> : On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> :
> : > 1) Native support for Maildir format mailboxen
> :
> : and that is better?
>
> Yes.  I'm one of those nuts who believes in reliable delivery  with an NFS
> mounted mail spool. :-)  Also much more resilient, and less prone to
> corruption and message loss.

I have been using pine for years (no nfs spool) and have never ever
experienceed corruption and mail loss due to pine. message loss to me is
more of a mta problem, but that's beside the point.

> : > 2) *much* more configurable than pine
> :
> : But is missing some key items.
> :
> : Put another way.  If you have to support a couple of hundred relative unix
> : clueless, I would rather they use pine than mutt.  I will admit that it
> : has sveraql months since I last took a look at it, I am willing to have
> : another look.
>
> If they indeed are "unix clueless", it will take forever for them to fathom
> the idea of a VTY.  I can hear it now...  "pine?  Do I get that through
> FTP or is it that telenet thingamajig?"  If they are indeed "unix clueless",
> you'll run a POP or IMAP server and give them their pretty Windoze or Mac
> mailers.

Weak arguments. Moreover, most of it is subjective. I would prefer that
_both_ pine and mutt be available. Let users decide. The only supported
mailer at Queen's University is pine. Other places other choices. The
emacs mailer vm is great, but do we want to impose people learn emacs to
read mail? Basically pine is much more widely used then mutt. I think that
even Elm beats out mutt in that regard. so why not _try_ to offer them all
(I emphasis try as UoW seems to be making this hard to do with pine - your
argument above is valid if the average user has to patch and compile it
also:)).

I don't mean to fuel the debate, but pine also threads:) Try "$" and "o"
while reading debian-user stuff.

Cheers, Colin.

--
Colin Telmer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada