Re: PINE Debian Package

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> That is exactly the point:  The MTA can lose mail.  maildir is a format
> for a mailbox that makes it really hard for the MTA to lose it..  Sendmail
> will still lose it if you screw up the configuration enough, but.  =>
>
> Currently the only way to use maildir with sendmail is via the (excellent)
> procmail patch.

Or you can use exim but that is a whole other thread.

Also, what about systems where the spool and the home directory are BOTH
NFS mounts? Actually, I never deal with that situation.  I like a central
mail server with a local spool and user home accounts that are really NFS
automounts. In most of the situations I work in, the user's home directory
is not even local to the user's own desktop machine, it is an NFS
automount. That is why IMAP is used. We want no email to physically reside
on any of the workstations, it resides either in the main mail spool or on
the user's home directory that lives on a large Auspex file server.

As for the source package thing, if the binary generated by the user is
exactly the same as the binary that would be provided in a .deb, what is
the point?  It seems like a lot of extra work that changes absolutely
nothing. Maybe I am a Rebel Without a Clue on this but it sure seems
like a classic case of cranial rectosis to me.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org