Re: X: competition for colours

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, G. Crimp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have a generic S3 Trio64V+ card.  Until recently it had only the
> stock 1 M of memory.  With that, if I had, Netscape running and then tried
> to run something else that used a lot of colour, occasionally, the second
> app would fail to start up with a message like `Not enough colours'.  If I
> retried once or twice to run it, it would eventually come up.

Okay, here's a couple of ideas. Even with your new video card, you may
still be running with 8 bit colour (that's the default for X, I believe).
Use

startx -- -bpp 16

to get 16 bit colour, (you can use 24 or 32 as well). If you use xdm, you
have to put something in one of the X resource configuration files, but I
can't remember what. I think the file might be .Xresources, check the man
pages.

Also, you can start netscape with it's own colour map (this means when
netscape comes into focus, all the colours on your screen change to match
netscape's own colour map). This is done with a command line option,
something like

netscape -private

Again, I've forgotten what the precise option is, check the man page.

Andrew Tarr

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"
|___
http://multinet.co.nz/personalhomepages/locusmeus/antechamber.html