Re: Printer now printing properly HOWTO suggests "magic filter"?

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 10:26:53AM +0000, Kenneth F. Ryder III wrote:
> As I said the HOWTO said something about using filters to fix this, and
> that the magic filter (by B.A. McCawley) was available on the net.  (This
> filter seemed to cover many formats, which I would like to support.) Is
> there a way I can get a Debian package and use dselect to install it that
> will be magicfilter / do the same thing as magicfilter does? Or do I
> already have one? I have the "Official" Debian 1.3.1 Binay and Source disks
> from lsl.com,  perhaps they contain magic filter in a Debian package?

They do indeed -- in the "text" section. Run dselect, locate this package
("/" to search, "\" to repeat the last search), and "+" to pick it.
Then Install from the main menu.

You might want to use ghostscript from non-free; you'll have to download
that with FTP from one of the mirrors. The non-free version is newer
than the free one (that's the way the ghostscript license works).

> Also, I would like to recompile my kernel, I have done this with Slakware,
> durring its install I told it to install the kernel source, once in the
> system I changed to the soucre directroy and ran "make menuconfig", how do
> I do this in Debian?

Same way. The source should be in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32 or
whichever version. You can run "make menuconfig" etc in there just as before.

After doing that though, you might want to build the kernel using
make-kpkg instead of "make zImage" etc; do

make-kpkg kernel_image

That will build a .deb file containing the kernel and all the modules.
Then use "dpkg -i kernel-image-2.0.32_1.00_i386.deb" (or whatever the
filename produced is, in /usr/src) to install it.

make-kpkg is in the package "kernel-package".

Hamish