Thanks to:

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu>
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>
Bob Nielsen <nielsen@primenet.com>

And maybe others, I sent the message, ate lunch and here are the
answers!

I asked:

   Does nay one know if an HP LaserJet 6Lse will talk with Linux? Or
   better, do you know a a way to make it print postscript (in software)
   from Linux?  It understands "Enhanced PCL 5" printer control
   language.

   Yes, use Ghostscript, it translates PostScript => PCL quite
   well.

   It should work with ghostscript, using one or more of the
   following drivers which exist in gs-aladdin 5.0:

   ljjet4 lj4dith lj5mono lj5gray

   I you want to use magicfilter, set it up as an hp 4 or 4L.
   Apparently the 4 is better with resolution, but I haven't gotten
   around to changing mine.

--David