Re: Bad/Counterfeit memory? [Was: Upgrading to hamm]

FWIW,

I took the suggestion to try 2.0.32, and my system still acts up with
128M in it.  64M is fine.  I think it's the new SIMMs.  They don't fail
memtest86, but gcc and dselect won't work...

I haven't tried to test *just* the new SIMMs yet, but I'm suspicious of
them simply because they have a Micron Technology logo on the chips,
which has been carefully laser(?)-etched to the point where it's nearly
impossible to see.  There is a diamond pattern over the MT logo.

The outfit that sold them to me told me that they were Micron chips,
and it took me a *long* time to discern the MT logo at all.  I suspect
that they're rejects, or don't test out at 60ns like they're marked,
or something...  Can anyone verify this?  I tried them at 70ns and they
still don't work.

Be careful when buying "Major" brand memory, and get a commitment to
the manufacturer name in advance if possible.

Thanks,

Jeff