Re: Upgrading to hamm

>> On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 12:29:39AM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
>> > There are some rather severe problems with memory corruption.  Generally,
>> > you will only see them on busy systems. Other problems include memory
>> > leaks, filesystem problems and system hangs. There are also networking
>> > issues. 2.0.33 is pretty bad. It DID introduce some hardware support that
>> > other kernels did not have.
>> >
>> > You are better off with 2.0.32 until 2.0.34 which I hope will be out
>> > pretty soon. It is currently at pre7 or 8. See freshmeat for details on
>> > where to find it if you want to build it.
>>
>> I have 2.0.33 running on an ABIT IT5H 2.0, K6-233 w/ 64 megs of RAM.
>> It's rock solid, but when I add another 64 megs, things start to segfault
>> all over the place.  Is that a symptom of this problem?  Should I switch
>> to 2.0.32 or 34pre?  My K6 is one of the ">32M bug free" ones.
>>
>> I suspected the memory immediately and took it out.  But it appears to
>> be good stuff -- 60ns Micron EDO, just like what was already in there.
>> Naturally, it also passes every memory test I throw at it.

 I think that motherboard is based on the TX chipset, which does not cache
 any memory over 64mb. So adding more than that is most propably worse.

 Btw. you did tell the kernel to look for all the memory? There just might be
 some misunderstanding between kernel/bios/chipset about how much memory
 there actually is.

	--j