Re: Bad/Counterfeit memory? [Was: Upgrading to hamm]

>> FWIW,
>>
>> I took the suggestion to try 2.0.32, and my system still acts up with
>> 128M in it.  64M is fine.  I think it's the new SIMMs.  They don't fail
>> memtest86, but gcc and dselect won't work...
>>
>> I haven't tried to test *just* the new SIMMs yet, but I'm suspicious of
>> them simply because they have a Micron Technology logo on the chips,
>> which has been carefully laser(?)-etched to the point where it's nearly
>> impossible to see.  There is a diamond pattern over the MT logo.
>>
>> The outfit that sold them to me told me that they were Micron chips,
>> and it took me a *long* time to discern the MT logo at all.  I suspect
>> that they're rejects, or don't test out at 60ns like they're marked,
>> or something...  Can anyone verify this?  I tried them at 70ns and they
>> still don't work.
>>
>> Be careful when buying "Major" brand memory, and get a commitment to
>> the manufacturer name in advance if possible.

 It does not help if they are brand memory or not, if they are broken. Simple
 ESD burst will damage chips more or less. It most propably damages them to
 the point that they are working, but later fail randomly.

 It ain't bs that 'they' talk about ESD protection, charges are *evil* to chips.
 ( I used to work on a components distributor handling a warehouse of
 chips going to electronics industry)

 Get your SIMMs changed and next time ground your self. And remember to
 demand properly hadled stuff - somebody on the line might have been
 wearing a sweather made of wool, and zapped the SIMMs with a lot of kvolts.

 BTW. there is difference in quality between brand stuff and so called 3rd party
 memory -  12k SIMMs (Hyndai, Samsung) in 6 months and 2 pcs faulty compared
 to som 20k 3rd party stuff and 8-16% faulty in the same time.