Re: Laptop install

Hi Jim,

>I'm trying to help a friend install Linux from a laptop.  The problem is
>that it can have a floppy or a CDROM drive installed, but not both.  The
>solution seems to be to create an root/boot installation on a Win95 hard
>disk, but I don't know how to do that.  Any suggestions?  No,
>unfortunatly he can't boot from the CDROM.  Not supported in the bios.

Been there, done that.... <grin>

My problem was I didn't even have a CD-ROM I could plug in...

Somewhere on the debian distribution is a file called rawwrite2 (I
believe), which you can use under a DOS based system to copy images onto
floppy disks. I'm not going to tell you how to do this tho, as it's all
laid out in a very readable, step-by-step fashion in the Debian
Installation manual. This should also be on your Debian CD somewhere.

Basically, make the 9 (I believe) install disks (yes, I know this is
tedius, but a lot more fun than installing Win95 by floppy!), and that will
take you through and install a working, but basic, debian installation.
>From that point you should be able to mount the CD-ROM and install the rest
of the stuff. You could also do it via FTP from your Win95 machine using
ethernet is you have a PCMCIA network card.

Hope that helps,

damon

========
Damon Muller (damon@lenore.empire.net.au)
Web Page:   www.sub.net.au/~tr      It's not a sense of humor. It's
ICQ UIN:    2920281                 a sense of irony disguised as one.
PGP Key ID: 0x232C09E1                   - Bruce Sterling