ISDN , Debian and MS Chap.

Hello,

I'm currently accessing the net with a regular modem, but want to switch
to ISDN.
The ISP uses the M$ Chap protocol (Did Micro$oft developed that protocol,
or just gave it its name?) I know that KiSDN (of KDE) can connect, the
problem is I don't have KDE installed.
Someone told me that I'd have to upgrade to kernel version 2.1.96
(currently 2.0.32) and get  the IDSN4Linux 2.1 beta. Is it true?

What will I have to install? (If it can be done.) I'd prefer not to use X
tools to connect, so I'll be able to connect from regular consule.

TIA,

Liran Zvibel.

---
http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~liranz/