Re: Upgrading to hamm

Wow thanx....
It turns out that MY CPU has a metal heat sink with a fan attached....
but no heat sink grease (I will add some)
as fo r the memory....
About a month back my memory went bad (2 days after a pwer
failure...I runa  UPS now -- 1.5 KVA..its nice) and I grabbed 32
MB out of an old Pentium 100 since it was the only RAM I had
One of the reasons I want the new motherboard is that the DIMM
slots on the old mother board don't work...all attempts to upgrade
the RAM have failed (so I have been stuck with 32 MB of old
RAM)
unfortunatly my problems with the NEW board I DOUBT are heat related...
they seem to be IDE controler problems
but once i get them squared away...I will be sure to try adding some heat sink
grease
then again...I believe my system exhibited the same problem with
SIG11 even after being off for hours...(previously it had been
up for a few weeks)
My CPU has always seemd to run cool...couse.//
my heatsink is large with a fan...and I have a larger case fan blowing crosswind
it
-Steve

George Bonser wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
>
> > I am pretty sure that my current problem is not CPU related (unless the
> > pentium also has the sam ebug) because I have swapped it out
> > but...I want to walk away from all of this mess with a
> > solid system....
> > -Steve
>
> Are you the one that posted about Sig11 faults?  If the faults do not
> occur in the same place twice, the trouble is usually one of the
> following:
>
> You have overclocked your CPU, put it back.
> You have a cheap or ineffective CPU fan and the CPU is getting too hot.
>  Replace the fan and add heatsink compound to the area where the heatsinkk
>  contacts the CPU.
> You have installed memory that is too slow for your machine causing random
>  errors.  Get the proper RAM.
> Your cache RAM is failing.
> Your power supply is failing.
>
> In 99% of my cases with random sig11 faults, it is related to CPU heat.
>
> Installing a good fan/heatsink with heatsink compound has fixed it.
> NEVER, EVER, EVER, use one of those "stick-on" cpu fans with double-sided
> tape. The tape actually INSULATES the CPU and can make it run hotter.
>
> George Bonser
>
> If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.
>
> http://www.debian.org
> Debian/GNU Linux ... the maintainable operating system.
>
> --

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.