Re: kernel-headers-2.0.32 vs. kernel-headers-2.0.33

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 03:42:12PM -0600, Tamas Papp wrote:

> My problem was that I couldn't not substitute kernel-headers-2.0.32 with
> kernel-headers-2.0.33 in the sense that libc6-dev depends on the former
> but it doesn't accept the latter instead, so my problem was a dependency
> problem.

I deleted the 2.0.32 headers and symlinks, then just changed the symlinks
to inside /usr/src/linux/, which seemed to make a few probrams happier
when compiling.  I have to fix these symlinks everytime I unstall new
libc6-dev and naturally I have to make sure /usr/src/linux is linked to
something useful (at the moment /usr/src/kernel/linux which is in turn
linked to /usr/src/kernel/linux-2.1.95--aren't symlinks fun?)

Why the extra kernel dir?  I use kernel-package which puts a kernel-image
.deb in the dir above the kernel directory, which is normally /usr/src by
most conventions.  This behavior is undesirable to me, so I place all my
package-related things in subdirs, .orig.tar.gz, .diff.gz, .dsc, .deb, and
the source code.

This idea came from the qmail-src package before I started rebuilding
packages for my own needs (I can build a fresh package but it's a very
slow process since I do not yet know all the tools to make it easier) so I
suppose I've kinda done it since I started doing things this way, but.

At any rate, it may not be the best way but it works.