Debian Download

I have recently installed the Debian Linux O/S on my computer and now need
to install certain packages to give the system some functionality.

I am afraid the process is not progressing very smoothly.  I assume I am
supposed to use the "dselect" routine.  Although I had troubles with it I
finally got the program to select only one file.  (In this case, the "ed" file)

I downloaded "ed 0.2-12" onto my hard drive using my Windows 95 partition
and then copied it to a floppy.  When I went to install the program with
"dselect" it said it couldn't find any .deb files on the floppy.

Since I have no idea what I did wrong my questions are numerous.
    - Was it correct to get "dselect" to select only 1 file?
    - What if the program I want to install isn't on the list in "dselect"?
    - Are there other files that need to be downloaded with it?
    - The downloaded file doesn't have a .deb extension, why not?
    - Is it ok to use Windows 95 to download and to save on a MS-DOS
formatted floppy?

Anyways, you get the picture.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  Thanks for
any help you can pass on.

What I really need I think is to download the appropriate ftp software so
that I don't have to use Windows 95 as a middleman.  Which software would
accomplish this?

Thanks again.
    -
Dennis Dixon