Re: Debian Download

> I am afraid the process is not progressing very smoothly.  I assume I am
> supposed to use the "dselect" routine.  Although I had troubles with it I
> finally got the program to select only one file.  (In this case, the "ed" file)
dselect is an interface for dpkg. The latter does the real job, dselect
just makes life easier by checking for dependencies. For one file, use
dpkg. The syntax is dpkg -i package-name.deb but you should read the man.
>     - Was it correct to get "dselect" to select only 1 file?
No. See the solution above.
>     - What if the program I want to install isn't on the list in "dselect"?
You can update the list of available packages if you use ftp for
upgrading. Or you can use dpkg.
>     - The downloaded file doesn't have a .deb extension, why not?
I don't know. Did it start out with the .deb extension? Use the program
ftp for downloading, e.g.
$ftp ftp.debian.org
takes you to the debian ftp site (it's run by santanni).
>     - Is it ok to use Windows 95 to download and to save on a MS-DOS
> formatted floppy?
The only problem with it is that you can't transport files correctly (long
filenames are not compatible unless you compiled the win95 filesystem to
your kernel - I don't remember what its name was).
> What I really need I think is to download the appropriate ftp software so
> that I don't have to use Windows 95 as a middleman.  Which software would
> accomplish this?
It should be there, it's called ftp.

jabberwock

###    By lack of understanding they remained sane. (George Orwell)    ###