printing with kernel 2.1.94

This one has me stumped:

I have been experimenting with the latest kernels--versions 2.1.92 and
now 2.1.94.  However, I have had difficulties configuring my soundcard
and parallel printer to work with the new kernels.  After reading the
documentation provided, I found that I needed to put these lines
alias char-major-14 sb
post-install sb modprobe  "-k" "adlib_card"
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
options adlib_card io=0x388     # FM synthetiser
in my /etc/conf.modules file.  That solved the soundcard problem.

But I still haven't figured out what needs to be done to properly
configure the parallel port and/or printer modules. (I have enabled
the parallel port and PC-style parallel port and parallel printer
all as modules).

The printer prints fine from kernel 2.0.33, so I know it isn't a
hardware problem. When I put no further paramaters in /etc/conf.modules
and execute the command 'lpr coma.cc', an entry in syslog like
Apr  9 22:20:17 debian kernel: lp: driver loaded but no devices found
appears.  And 'lpq' says
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    jdietrch   157  coma.cc                               171 bytes

When I specify paramaters in /etc/conf.modules such as
alias char-major-6 lp
options parport_pc io=0x378
options lp parport=0
I am still unable to print.  I have also tried doing all the above
manually with insmod, but to no avail.

Yes, I have read parport.txt in the kernel source Documentation
directory, as well as other documentation relating to parallel
ports and modules and kmod.

In case it helps, I am running the latest from hamm; the printer
is a DeskJet 682C; there is one parallel port at 0x378. If any
further information would be helpful, just let me know, and I'll
do my best to provide it.

If someone who has successfully configured their printer to work
with these last few development kernels would be willing to give
me a few hints about how to properly configure my printer or about
where to find more information, I would be very grateful.

Thanks again!

James