Re: Software watchdog & full process table

> Hi,
>
> One of our network servers went down for reboot in the middle of last
> night, which was done by the software watchdog.
>
> The log message was as follows:
>
> daemon.log:Apr 10 03:15:44 seldon watchdog[102]: process table is full!
> daemon.log:Apr 10 03:15:44 seldon watchdog[102]: shutting down the system
>

> Does anyone know what does this mean, and what would cause this to happen?
> Is there anyway to determine what was happening on the machine?

Basicaly, the kernel keeps track of each process by having an entry for it in
the process table. This table is a finite resource and thus can be filled up,
so that no new process could be created.
I guess that in order to see what was the cuase of your problem, you can 1)
Take a look at the log files to see what processes were running 2) Take a look
at the cron entries. 3) Maybee there is a bug in the watchdog software ?