Re: olvwm locks up ...

On 10 Apr 1998, Carey Evans wrote:

: [I'm just catching up on debian-user after not reading it for a week,
: so apologies if I'm coming in a bit late.]
:
: Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> writes:
:
: > : On a brand new install, Debian 2.0, using install disks from 29 Mar98.
: > : Machine has an S3 Trio 64/V+ ... I'm using the SVGA xserver, olvwm WM,
: > : and xdm.
:
: Can you try some variations: twm instead of olvwm, VGA16 server, just
: startx?

I did a complete reinstall and avoided X altogether.  So far, so good.
I noticed someone mentioned that the grep bug was causing a host of
problems, including a few with X.  I wonder if that was the problem.
This machine is slated to become a server soon, and I'm a bit leery of
installing X on it again - a complete disk crash might mean starting
over again :)  On the other hand, that'll give me something to do.

If I do try X again I will indeed try a few different window managers.

: > : However, after that things are screwed pretty good.  No mouse pointer,
: > : no keyboard ... ctrl-bkspc doesn't work, ctrl-alt-f[1-6] doesn't work
: > : ... even numlock doesn't work!  It seems to be locked up solid.
:
: [snip]
:
: > As long as the xdm login screen is up, all is well.  However, once I
: > reach this "locked up" state, the machine goes down hard ... I can't
: > even ping it!
:
: My suggestion would be to try telnetting in, but if it locks up that
: hard your only recourse is to press Reset.

No ping == no telnet :)  It was locked up harder than I've ever seen a
Linux box locked up.

: > Also, this thing has PII, 266 processor (2 of them, but no SMP kernel
: > yet), and 320 MB RAM.
:
: *Drool*
:
: Could there be a hardware problem?  The hwtools package includes a
: memory tester, or you could run `make -j 4' on a kernel compile to
: stress your machine.

At the time, I was in non-SMP mode ... this is an IBM PC Server 325.  It
seems you need kernel 2.1.79 or greater for SMP to work properly, so I'm
going to wait for the kernel code freeze, or at least for reports of a
"good" kernel out of 2.1

I've beat on this thing pretty hard ... only X ever gave it fits, and at
the exact same spot (during xdm login)

Thanks,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104