Re: Tkdesk error

"Marc van der Vossen" <marc@vdvossen.cistron.nl> writes:

> >Yes...  Tell me, what does
> >
> >xlsfonts -fn "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*"
> >

> It says font unmatched
>
> >say?  If it says nothing, do as root
> >
> >/var/lib/dpkg/info/xfnt100.postinst
> >
> >and then do "xset fp rehash" (as your regular user) and then try the
> >xlsfonts command again.  If it still says nothing, try doing
> >
> >killall -1 xfs
> >
> This says xfs not found (or it says not running)
>
> >as root, and then try the xlsfonts command again.  If it still says
> >nothing, exit X, start it up again and try xlsfonts once more.
> >(i.e. if using xdm, get back to the login screen and log back in; if
> >using startx then exit X completely and use startx again)  If still
> >nothing, then something's really weird; could you tell me what "xset
> >q" has to say about the "Font Path:"?
> >
> Sure I can, it says
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

Ah ha! - ok, I think I can solve your tkdesk problem.  As root, go
edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config and find the line that says
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
And add immediately below it the following lines:
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"

Then (after exiting X and logging back in again) all should be well.

As for your afterstep problem, it keeps getting weirder.  Try this:
remove your ~/.xsession and then as root edit the file
/etc/X11/window-managers and move the line that talks about afterstep
to the top of the list.

If that doesn't work (or if there is no afterstep line in
/etc/X11/window-managers), then maybe there's something wrong with the
afterstep install.  Tell me, does running "afterstep" inside an xterm
say something about another WM is running or "the screen is already
being managed" or something similar?  (This is what should happen) If
instead it says "command not found" then afterstep is not properly
installed.  Re-install afterstep.