Re: Tkdesk error

"Marc van der Vossen" <marc@vdvossen.cistron.nl> writes:

> >> So there is a font missing, where should it be and how should I install
> it.
> >
> >You should install either the xfnt75 or xfnt100 package.  I'll try to
> >remember to have the next tkdesk recommend one of these packages.
> >
> I've got them both installed, that's the strange part about it. You just
> start it in xterm, right ?

Yes...  Tell me, what does

xlsfonts -fn "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-14-*"

say?  If it says nothing, do as root

/var/lib/dpkg/info/xfnt100.postinst

and then do "xset fp rehash" (as your regular user) and then try the
xlsfonts command again.  If it still says nothing, try doing

killall -1 xfs

as root, and then try the xlsfonts command again.  If it still says
nothing, exit X, start it up again and try xlsfonts once more.
(i.e. if using xdm, get back to the login screen and log back in; if
using startx then exit X completely and use startx again)  If still
nothing, then something's really weird; could you tell me what "xset
q" has to say about the "Font Path:"?

If you get a result with xlsfonts that's not nothing, try running
tkdesk again.

> >> An other question:
> >> I have installed Afterstep, but now I need to get it started, I think
> >> .xinitrc or  something like that has to be modified, how should I do that
> >
> >You should modify your ~/.xsession to say something like:
> >exec afterstep
>
> How can I do that with the standard edit ? Where can I find that file, I
> found Xsession which referred to .xsession, but I wasn't able to find it.

If you don't have the file ~/.xsession (that is, .xsession in your
home directory) then create it and put the line
exec afterstep
(and nothing else) into it.  Another option is to (as root) move the
afterstep line in /etc/X11/window-managers to the top of the list.