bo to hamm and libc5 vs libc6

My ultimate purpose is to get Xwindows to work for my Matrox Millenium II.

Ben Pfaff and Ossama Othman, both of whom successfully use the Matrox Millenium II video card, both suggestion what amounts to an update of the SVGA server.  I was unable to get this to work.  Ossama Othman, noted in his message that he stared from hamm before upgrading (I am working from bo debian 1.31).  The xserver_SVGA and XFSetup 3.3.2 both ended with a complaint that a file could not be found.  I assume there is some file in one of the the latest X hamm packages.  That is not in the bo packages.

Therefore I decided to update to xserver-svga_3_3_2-2 and also xbase_3_3_2-2.  I figured I would also get the VGA server since it might be used in the setup program.  Somewhere down the dependency tree from xbase_3_3_2-2 I needed libc6 (latest hamm package libc6_2_0_7pre1-4).  However dpkg won't install libc6 because it conflicts with libc5 and it wont remove libc5 because almost every package I have depends upon it.

Is it necessary to upgrade my whole system to hamm, just to get the Matrox Millenium II to work?  Do I have to replace libc5 with libc6?  Is there any way to have them both on the same system?  Has anyone tried just upgrading the SVGA server from bo 1.31 to hamm?  My only purpose is to get Xwindows to work on my Matrox Millenium II by the most straightforward and expedient way I can figure.

-Thanks,
Chip 'forever in text mode' Grandits