[wtopa@ix.netcom.com: Re: mail server]

	Subject: Re: mail server
	Date: Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 10:58:19AM -0800

Quoting wtopa@ix.netcom.com(wtopa@ix.netcom.com):

> On Sat, 28 Mar 1998 wtopa@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>

> > May I suggest www.qmail.org.  Forget Smail & Sendmail and get a good
> > MTA. Check the archives of the qmail list.  There are Debian users
> > that have qmail running, even tho it is not a debian package.  Save
> > yourself a LOT of grief! Use qmail!
>
> If it is grief you are trying to save people, you should be pointing them
> to exim.  Qmail has its own set of problems.

Why?  I had tried to use Sendmail/Smail for 2 years and had nothing
but grief, 'bat boot', notwithstanding.  I then tried Qmail, had it
working better then I EVER had the others wotking, and it took 3 days.

Qmail does everything I could hope for.  I have never tried exim.  Is
there a pressing reason that I should?

here is some data that was posted on the qmail list. Shows what one
site found to be the most used MTA's

                    Total       12318  %100.0
                    -------------------------
           Total Sendmail       8639    70.1
                  unknown       633     5
                    Qmail       575     4
                     smap       367     2
                     PMDF       334     2
              Post.Office       223     1
                    Smail       203     1
                     Exim       197     1
       Microsoft Exchange       180     1
                       PP       95      0
     Netscape Mail Server       93      0
                    IMail       71      0
                  ZMailer       64      0
           WindowsNT SMTP       64      0
                  Generic       52      0
                       MX       38      0
                   Eudora       37      0
        IMS SMTP Receiver       34      0
                Groupwise       34      0
                   SLMail       33      0
                  Pretend       32      0
           Microsoft SMTP       28      0
                  Mercury       28      0
              IBM VM SMTP       27      0
      CheckPoint FireWall       23      0
                InterLock       20      0
   Lotus SMTP MTA Service       19      0
           CISCO MultiNet       15      0
                  Vmailer       15      0
                     IPAD       14      0
                Mail*Link       14      0
             TGV MultiNet       14      0
                 MailSite       13      0
                   SMTPXD       12      0
           AltaVista Mail       11      0
                    iSMTP       8       0
      Apple Internet Mail       8       0
               Black Hole       7       0
                  MDaemon       7       0
                      iSC       6       0
                Intermail       6       0
               FirstClass       6       0
                  Stalker       4       0
                  Wildcat       3       0
                 S-Bridge       3       0
                   GIVEME       3       0
                InterScan       3       0
                WorldMail       3       0

Is there a reason to use exim over qmail?  Is this a Debian Free
Software issue or what?

  No flames intended, I just use the software that does the job for
me.

 I did not see a post by you suggesting exim.  Do you have a problem
with qmail?

Wayne

--
Command, n.:
  Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer in

--
Weinberg's Second Law:
 If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,