Re: Ooooh A new HDD!

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:

> I dont know how to explain myself better! I already know of this
method,
> (thanks for the step by step, I didnt know how to do it..) but what I
> meant was that there was something about "multidisk" support or something
> in the kernel config, that made the drive to appear as ONE 301MB drive..
> something to do with RAID I think, there is also a package in bo, mdutils,
> which I think I need to use:

No one is following you down this track because it is a very bad idea to
do this in your particular case.  This is because, for example, if you
fill the filesystem by untarring something huge in /usr or /var, you have
now completely filled the ENTIRE filesystem and not even /tmp is writable.

People have been trying to help you to partition your filesystem so that
filling of one filesystem does not impact other filesystems. You can then
combine devices later to make a larger /usr or /var or whatever but the
first step is to break the directory structure up into completely
different filesystems to make the overall system more robust.

I usually break mine up as follows:

/
/usr
/usr/local
/var
/var/spool
/var/spool/news
/home
/home/ftp

I maintain these as separate filesystems with storage mounted under them.
I could then use the md stuff to combine drives to make a larger
/var/spool/news or a larger /home/ftp but in your case, first things
first.

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org