Re: Ooooh A new HDD!

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 wtopa@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > > As for making it appear as part of the original drive, that is what
> > > /etc/fstab is for.
> >
> > Yes, but I meant this:
> >
> > current: 195MB
> > new    : 106MB
> >
> > add    : 301MB
> >
> > so that it appears the drive now has 301 MB. I think this is something you
> > have to compile into the kernel? CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD ?
> >

> No, the kernel does not have to be recompiled when you add new disks.
>
> If you want to put /usr/local on a New (empty) disk partition.
>
>  1.  mke2fs /dev/???
>  2.  mount /dev/??? /mnt
>  3.  ( cd /usr/local ; tar clf - . ) | ( cd /mnt ; tar xvpBf - )
>        #3 copies all files from /usr/local to /dev/??? (which will
>        become the New /usr/local
>  4. varify the #3 did it correctly  - diff -r /usr/local /mnt
>  5.  edit /etc/fstab - add the new partition
>      ie   /dev/hdb1        /usr/local   ext2        defaults   1   2
>  6. Now delete the OLD /usr/local directory.  cd /usr ; rm -rf ./local
>  7. umount /mnt   ( not really necessary )
>  8. Now reboot the system & enjoy your new drive.

I dont know how to explain myself better! I already know of this method,
(thanks for the step by step, I didnt know how to do it..) but what I
meant was that there was something about "multidisk" support or something
in the kernel config, that made the drive to appear as ONE 301MB drive..
something to do with RAID I think, there is also a package in bo, mdutils,
which I think I need to use:

--
mdutils - Multiple Device driver utilities

The Multiple Device driver's main goal is to group several disks or
partitions together, making them look like a single block device.

With 1.3.60ish kernels configured appropriately you can concatenate
partitions and/or stripe data across disks.  New (very alpha) kernel
drivers allow raid1 and raid5, providing mirroring and so forth.

This package contains the utilities for managing these features.
--

Another thing, I use fdisk or cfdisk to create a full partition on the
drive, and then mke2fs it, and the partition disappears, but can still be

fdisk:

--
ROOT- /root > fdisk /dev/hdc

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdc: 12 heads, 17 sectors, 1024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 204 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1            1        1     1024   104439+  83  Linux native

Command (m for help):
--

then I mke2fs it:

--
ROOT- /root > fdisk /dev/hdc
Warning: invalid flag 0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)