Re: Ooooh A new HDD!

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:
>
> > I dont know how to explain myself better! I already know of this
> method,
> > (thanks for the step by step, I didnt know how to do it..) but what I
> > meant was that there was something about "multidisk" support or something
> > in the kernel config, that made the drive to appear as ONE 301MB drive..
> > something to do with RAID I think, there is also a package in bo, mdutils,
> > which I think I need to use:
> >

> No one is following you down this track because it is a very bad idea to
> do this in your particular case.  This is because, for example, if you
> fill the filesystem by untarring something huge in /usr or /var, you have
> now completely filled the ENTIRE filesystem and not even /tmp is writable.

Okay, that helps explain things a bit better, but In my case I am not
about to download let alone untar something huge...

> People have been trying to help you to partition your filesystem so that
> filling of one filesystem does not impact other filesystems. You can then
> combine devices later to make a larger /usr or /var or whatever but the
> first step is to break the directory structure up into completely
> different filesystems to make the overall system more robust.

Okay, But my problem is that I only have 301Mb available to linux at
present, so I would like it all together. I know it seems unwise, but
there is also not really a sensible way that I can see to split up my
system... my /usr is 125 MB, and the new(/old) HDD is only 106 MB.

> I usually break mine up as follows:
>
> /
> /usr
> /usr/local
> /var
> /var/spool
> /var/spool/news
> /home
> /home/ftp

I guess that would be fine if I had a 100 Gig SCSI :) ... No I guess
(really this time) that I could do that, but it seems impractical when I
only have 301 MB

> I maintain these as separate filesystems with storage mounted under them.
> I could then use the md stuff to combine drives to make a larger
> /var/spool/news or a larger /home/ftp but in your case, first things
> first.

Well, I am only a home user, i.e. no news, www or ftp and for that matter,
only 2 users, so I see the md stuff to be a viable answer. I guess what I
am trying to say is that I dont really need a lot of disk space, but an
additional 100 MB would be nice.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)