Re: Wizard Radio...

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>   >On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 08:58:49PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
>   >> I have a serial radio device, (plugs into 25-pin serial port) which ONLY
>   >> has a program for windoze whatever (3.1 and 95). Would anyone have any
>   >> ideas as to how I could maybe disassemble the executable or trap the
>   >                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   >
>   >Funny that you ask --- reengineering is most of the time a violation of copy
>       >right.
>
> I'm not sure you're right about that, in Europe, at least.  I think that
> a Directive was passed about three years ago that gives us the right to
> disassemble code if it is necessary to maintain the system.

I like that Idea.. Im moving to America..

> Now, if
> the supplier refuses to provide code for your system, it must clearly be
> necessary to disassemble what he has provided in order to maintain your
> system.

> I think the situation in USA is as you say.  The original poster has a
> New Zealand domain...

'Tis true... I am from good old NZ :) anyway, here, there has not yet been
laws laid down yet governing computer software issues.. well not very
effective ones anyway. In normal language, the current law implies that
breaking into _electronic_ communications is legal. (i.e. Modem
connections.. voice connections are protected) but that is only one
example..

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)