Re: Wizard Radio...

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> This definitly sounds like an interesting challenge.
> Does the cab;le for this disconnect? I would start by taking a continuity
> testor (or ohmmeter...works just the same)... and make a list of the pin
> mappings...
> i.e. is it a straight pass through pin 1 = pin 1; pin 2 = pin 2 or is it
> special...

No, it is a straight pass through... the unit itself is plugged into the
port, it is quite small. It has an audio lead to my sound card's line in,
and an antenna.

> before that...have you thought of calling the manafacturer and asking for
> that info?
> they might be willing to give you the info (can it hurt to ask?)

No, he was not pleased that I asked, even after I offered to send him all
of the source, binaries etc for a DOS version....

> failing that...I don't think that disassembling the program is the way
> to go... it is NOT a task to be taken lightly
> It is ALOT of work (esp if you don't know assembly)

I thought as much

> I happen to have an i386 disassembler for DOS...it works well but...I have
> never done anything usefull with it

I would be interested in trying it... I've wanted to get into assembly..

> Then...have you ever seen the
> documents for the Windows API...its a real bonafide mess
> I wouldn't want to try to disassemble a program that makes calls to that

The windows API's are not that hard to understand... just 2-3 hours for
each one does the trick... >:)

> You could try this...
> after verifing the pinout of the cable... hook it up to a second computer....
> run a terminal program on one computer and the radio software on the other...
> see what signals it sends...play with the baud rate, and other goodie
> settings... (or if it needs signals comming back...
> make a 3 way cable...and just have one computer "listen" with a terminal
> program) these are all just ideas..in any case it will be some work

I have tried the first idea, with a terminal, but I need to try the
second... unfortunately, I have not gotten round to it.. Anyway, the data
the software sends is slightly obscure..

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)