Re: Wizard Radio...

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>   >On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 08:58:49PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
>   >> I have a serial radio device, (plugs into 25-pin serial port) which ONLY
>   >> has a program for windoze whatever (3.1 and 95). Would anyone have any
>   >> ideas as to how I could maybe disassemble the executable or trap the
>   >                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   >
>   >Funny that you ask --- reengineering is most of the time a violation of copy
>       >right.
>
> I'm not sure you're right about that, in Europe, at least.  I think that
> a Directive was passed about three years ago that gives us the right to
> disassemble code if it is necessary to maintain the system.

I very sensable thing.... definitly properEven so...even here in the USA...I don't
see how anyone can say it is a violation of a copywrite
to disassemble software
(to use the dissassembled code to write a new program and sell it...ok THAT I can
see)
I mean ...thats like saying that if I buy a car and take it apart...then find out
how it works and make
something similar (just for myself) that the mere act of building it is a
violation against the
car manafacturer
(then again... I have always tended to disagree with most laws...probably because
I believe 99% of all laws
are completely unnecssary)
-Steve