Re: Wizard Radio...

Michael Beattie wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
>
> > i.e. is it a straight pass through pin 1 = pin 1; pin 2 = pin 2 or is it
> > special...
>
> No, it is a straight pass through... the unit itself is plugged into the
> port, it is quite small. It has an audio lead to my sound card's line in,
> and an antenna.

definitly a good start...easy...

> > before that...have you thought of calling the manafacturer and asking for
> > that info?
>
> No, he was not pleased that I asked, even after I offered to send him all
> of the source, binaries etc for a DOS version....

hmm so I take it he isn't interested in the OpenHardware Program ?

> > I happen to have an i386 disassembler for DOS...it works well but...I have
> > never done anything usefull with it
>
> I would be interested in trying it... I've wanted to get into assembly..

I just happen to have a copy sitting on a computer here at work...itwas in with a
bunch of files I was coping off a CD I personally made and was going to fix up and
burn a new copy oflemme gte back to you with some info (filesize and all) and id be
happy to send it
(no idea on copywrites...it was a while ago I got it...I downloaded it for free off
the web
but...that was back when I downloaded aloit of things for free...but I am almost
sure this is free)

> > Then...have you ever seen the
> > documents for the Windows API...its a real bonafide mess
> > I wouldn't want to try to disassemble a program that makes calls to that
>
> The windows API's are not that hard to understand... just 2-3 hours for
> each one does the trick... >:)

if you say so....dunno...I had a problem with 11 pages of source to write "hello
world"

> > You could try this...

one idea that I forgot about....does the device feed data back to the software?
like does the current station and current volume show on the screen?
I ask because if not its posible that it just sends a simple signal on a pin ...
with pin x being volume up... pin y being station up...or pin z stationm down....
I dunno..an idea....maybe get out a voltmeter
this is really just a guess you know...
and also remember...if you do it without dissassembling then you can still send him
a copy of the source code (already GPL'd) so that he can start to support linux
with his device
not much he can do if you  didn't dissassemble his software to do it
-Steve