Re: vhost popper?

This should be easy enough (at least the networking part). A socket must be bound
to an IP/port before it can listen for connections. In sockets programming
servers generally bind to the address '0' which means any address. You can easily
bind to a specific IP address. If you've set up an ip-alias then that solves that
problem. Then you just have to figure out how to hack the program so that it
accesses a different source for passwords--you can replace getpwent by fgetpwent.
Better yet you can use a custom user database and have your clients use APOP
authentication instead of POP3's usual 'here, let me send your password in the
clear of the network' method. Of course then your clients will have to use
Eudora...

finn@midco.net wrote:

> I was just thinking (it's dangerous, I don't like to do it often) ... we
> support quite a few virtual host customers around here.  Now, there are
> solutions for http and ftp, but for email we've been using the
> virtusertable capabilities of sendmail.  This works well when someone
> wants to receive their email at an offsite location.  However, we have a
> lot of customers who don't want (or know how to) run their own mail
> server, or web server, so they come to us with a request for a virtual
> host and a list of 20-30 email addresses for their employees.  It's
> really hard to explain why they can have an email address like
> "joe@customersdomain.com" but they have to retrieve mail from our mail
> server with a username like "joe21".
>
> So, now to the question :)  Is there a hack for popper so that it
> listens to different IP addresses, and access a different
> username/password database depending on which IP the request arrived at?
> I hope that makes sense ... I also hope someone smarter than me has
> thought about it and implemented it.  Otherwise, I may try to get my
> hands dirty ... the real programmers won't like my code at all :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Nathan Norman
> MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104
> mailto://finn@midco.net   http://www.midco.net
> finger finn@kepler.midco.net for PGP Key: (0xA33B86E9)
>
> --

Jens B. Jorgensen