Re: Running X11 over a network

Hi Rainer!

In article <[🔎] 19980325115733.60476@trans>, Rainer Clasen <clasen@gmx.net>
writes

>According to my knowledge there are two basic setups for your desktop:
>- with locally installed fonts
>  glancing at package dependencies it needs Xserver, xfntbase, xlib6, xbase
>- using the laptop as fontserver
>  now it only needs Xserver and an appropriate configured XF86Config :-)
>
>When you become more experienced (and diskspace is an issue) you can switch
>to the second setup and purge xbase, xfntbase, xlib6 (, xserver-vga16).

What changes will I need to make?

Incidently, do you know what kind of performance hit I will get running
X over 20m of BNC cable (there are 2 other (Win'95) machines on the
network)?

BTW, I wasthinking about the IP addresses and would it make sense for me
to use 192.168.xxx.1 and 192.168.xxx.2 (xxx=random number) in case I
added someone elses Linux system to my network for some reason in the
future?

I am also confused about how each computer knows the others IP address.
Does it just broadcast it over the whole network and anyone who wants it
grabs it?

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh - ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk
http://home.sn.no/~balchen/igloo/

Why do they put Braille dots on the keypad of the drive-up ATM?