Deebian / atalk revisited

My main experience is installing and configuring Windows NT (not my
choice).  I am trying to get up to speed with Linux to have an
alternative to NT.

I am at the bottom of the learning curve and feel overwhelmed.  I was
encouraged by the way Debian has packages.  I have become somewhat
disheartened by things not going as smoothly as I expected.  Is there a
single document that has an overview of Debian and how to know if a
package will work with the kernel that you have?

I got some feedback on the LINUX-ATALK list regarding my problem with
AppleTalk on the Debian 1.3 release.  I was pointed to the kernel
compile option.  I checked the '/usr/src/linux/.config' and found that
it was 'CONFIG_ATALK=m'.

What is the debian netatalk package expecting?  Do I need to recompile
the kernel?  Is there a atalk.o module around somewhere?

Help!  I want to get rid of NT quickly and (hopefully) easily.

MUCH thanks!

Greg