Re: Strange Network problem

Greg Green <Gregory.Green@advantagecom.com> writes:

> machine since it is not acting as the router.  Also, when I add a
> certain host to my Debian /etc/hosts file.....the access is great.  The

> I can also flood the machines on the network with ping -f and not lose
> any packets

> pop server = qpopper (2.2).....one-reocurring 110 error ( connot get
> canonical name of  ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) in /var/adm/messages...I think
> this particular machine is just configured wrong in its email setup.

I think this is a DNS problem. Your linuxbox has trouble resolving the
names of the machines in your LAN.

Do you have a line "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in your /etc/resolv.conf ?

I had a similar problem today. I deleted the nameserver lines and couldn't
connect with telnet and ftp timed-out after one statusline. Other services
worked as well, as long as they didn't try to resolv a name. Ping worked
just right.

In my case, the tcp wrapper wanted to use 0.0.0.0 as address for a
nameserver when it didn't find an entry in resolv.conf .

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
	Martin