Re: xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Gabor Kontur wrote:

> I have your setup now. Works fine except that the responsiveness has not
> changed in X.

I've never seen the advantages of using /dev/gpmdata as I have never had
any problems getting my mouse to work correctly in X11. YMMV though. I
think not using the gpmdata method makes it simpler anyhow.

About the mouse responsiveness: you've obviously not read the xset manpage
very thoroughly yet as it explainss it all (I think.)

> When i try to remedy the situation by starting a login bash that will run
> my regular profile scripts, i cannot login as root:  Invalid (or incorrect)
> login. The password is strictly alphanumeric and i couldn´t possibly
> misspell it a dozen times. Also, CAPS LOCK is not activated ( or otherwise
> i would login as ROOT and not as root ).
> I can login as another user just fine.

This sounds really weird. I can't help you very much I'm afraid.
I don't think so, but maybe you fiddled with /etc/securetty or
/etc/login.defs?

What command do you use to become root, su or login?

I'm not sure if you got this right:
- if you start bash as a login shell, it will read ~/.bash_profile
- if you start bash as a (sub)shell, it will read ~/.bashrc

Cheers,

Joost

PS: If you want to make changes to the /etc/rc.? setup, have a look at the
update-rc.d manpage which documents the Debian interface for this. If you
use update-rc.d, packages will respect your changes when they get upgraded
(otherwise, they might reinstall links that you removed.)