desperately seeking installation

I appreciate the support, folks.

The motherboard in question is an EFA P5TX v1.30 with an AMD K6/200.

Through long practice and much patience, I was able to see the word
"Calibrating" on the display before it reboots, so if there's a stage during
boot where it calibrates something, it's getting to that point, at least. I
can't tell if there's anything before or after that, though.

What I've tried so far:

1) removing all components except for motherboard-mounted ones, and the VGA
card.
2) resetting CMOS values to be very conservative (no caching of anything,
generous memory timing, very basic IDE settings, etc.)
3) writing different images (tecra) to the boot floppy.
4) using different boot floppies.
5) fiddling with different PCI configurations.

The boot disks I'm using seem to boot fine on my roommate's machine (a K5,
on an EFA P5TVX motherboard).

I really, REALLY want to install this thing...I'm just beginning to wonder
if it's possible.

---
 Wolf Lochland Logan                      Ohlone Costanoan Esselen Nation
                 xue elo xonia eune - I come from the rock
 The fact is, there may be hope                  http://www.talamasca.org