Re: Missing file for X

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 12:16:49PM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> It looks like I may have given you misleading advice, or advice that
> you have inadvertently misinterpreted.  The Debian X Window System is
> set up slightly different from the standard XFree86 setup.  The file
> /etc/X11/Xserver contains the full path to the X server as its first
> line; /usr/X11R6/bin/X is not a symlink in this setup.
>
> The only file that you needed to replace from X332SVGA.tgz was
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  Make sure that this file actually did get
> updated and that nothing else got stomped on or overwritten.
>
> Alternatively, it sounds like 3.3.2 will be in Debian Real Soon Now,
> so you might just want to wait.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ben.

Here are some more details just in case this is new to you.  This is a
mix of shell and pseudo shell:

cd                                       #yes, your home dir
mkdir tempX
cd tempX
put the new X332SVGA.tgz file here
tar xvzf X332SVGA.tgz                    # unpack it all in this dir
find . -name XF86_SVGA                   # find it in the hierarchy
su
mv /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.orig  #just in case
cp path/XF86_SVGA /usr/X11R6/bin         # use the path from find

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com