Re: Missing file for X

I just did the exact same upgrade that you did for my Matrox Millenium II
AGP.  Here are some pointers that may help you:

0. DO NOT setup a link from the server to "X."  Debian uses the
/etc/X11/Xserver file to determine what X server to run.  IIRC,
/usr/X11R6/bin/X is a SUID wrapper so that X servers don't have to be
set SUID.

1. Check that server entry /etc/X11/Xserver is correct, i.e. pointing to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA. It may be pointing to an incorrect server such
as XF86_VGA16 (which is the one that XF86Setup uses by default).

2. If you are going to reconfigure, you may need to replace XF86Setup with
the new one, too.  (I think it is in X332set.tgz).  The cards database
has been updated in XF86 3.3.2.  Also, you may need to replace XF86_VGA16
since the old one doesn't seem to work with the new XF86Setup.

3. If you do reconfigure, make sure that the XF86Config file is being
stored as /etc/X11/XF86Config.  XF86Config may be installed as
/etc/XF86Config by the non-Debianized XF86Setup.

4. DO NOT try to configure 1600x1200@32bpp.  Millenium IIs do not support
this resolution at 32bpp.  I had all sorts of problems with this.

5.  If you will be running at 24bpp, add the following option to your
"Device" section:

	Option	"mga_24bpp_fix"

This option is supposed to correct color distortion problems at 24bpp.

6.  Check that the server is detecting the right amount of video memory.
At first, the server was detecting 16MB of video memory even though I only
have 8MB!  If you have the same problem, configure the amount of memory
using XF86Setup or add the following to your "Device" section in the
XF86Config file:

	VideoRam        8192   <--- change to whatever RAM you have
			       <--- (8MB = 8 * 1024K = 8192K)

I can't think of anything else right now.  It seems that this server is
still a little quirky which the Millenium II support, especially at
24bpp.  If you are going to need TrueColor visuals, you are probably
better off with the 32bpp mode, at least with the current server.

I hope all of this helps.

Good luck.

-Ossama

Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>