Some odd errors / compatibility questions.

	I'm installing a new linux machine, and I chose Debian 1.3.1rev6
for various reasons I won't go into here.

	The install kernel is 2.0.29, and I immediately went forward to
compile 2.0.30.  While I'm sure this is several revisions backlevelled by
now, bear with me.

	The system is a home-built; PCI IDE motherboard housing a Cyrix
6x86-233, 32Mb EDO RAM, Acer 24x CDROM and a modem.

	On the initial compile I started having problems with GCC dumping
out on unexpected signals (11).  From what I've read in the past, this is
indicative of memory problems, particularly with non-parity SIMMS.  So I
pulled a second set of 2-16Mb EDO fast RAM SIMMs from a running system
(*not* running Linux) and swapped them for mine.

	No dice.  If anything, things are worse-- occasional messages
indicating the kmem is freeing non-kmapped(?) memory.  Once I work my way
to a successful compilation of 2.0.30, the system fails to boot it (I'm
back booting the 2.0.29 default kernel).  Every so often something abends
with a "kernel unable to handle dereference of NULL pointer".
Compilations still breaking on unexpected signals.

	Now, this all *still* sounds like bad memory to me, but I'm on my
second set of sticks here from 2 different sources (one set in fact was
pulled from a running system).  I find it hard to swallow that *both*
sets are worthless.

	What am I missing?  Or should I return *both* set of sticks and
give up?

--
Cerebus <tmill06@ibm.net>