Re: Programming hints.

"C.J.LAWSON" wrote:

  >On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 shaul@rakefet.debian.org wrote:
  >
  >> > What about CTRL + C. Is that a signal?
  >>
  >> Yes it is. I don't know what signal exactly it is. SIGINT ? SIGTERM ?

Strictly speaking, ctrl-c can be made to generate SIGINT, and this is the
default in Debian.  However, this can be changed by the command stty.
Many systems use <DEL> instead of ctrl-c

  >> > If not, how can a do something before
  >> > exiting from CTRL + C?
  >What you want to do is catch the signal. Typically it will require the
  >signal function ("man signal"), you have to rewrite a function to do what
  >you want and then install that as the defacto signal handler ... There is
  >(if my memory serves me right) an example in the book, the "Joy of C"
  >(local lib) and I think some other ones in Plauger's book (I hope that is
  >the spelling of his name).

I missed the beginning of this thread, so this may be right off the point
for the original poster:

In shell script, use trap to catch a signal and do something before exit
(or just ignore it completely).  You can't catch signal 9 (SIGKILL) and
one or two others.