Re: more or less Newbies?

** Reply to note from Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu> Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:37:00 -0500 (EST)

> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 lucier@cow-net.com wrote:
>
> > wasn't about setting up servers.......it was about setting up a USEABLE default install for
> > NEWBIES.  Most installations are NOT going to be set up as servers, regardless of whether or

> It's simple to do this.

Point is it is not simple for a newbie to do this.

> Most newbies are going to use bash,  right,
> rather than tcsh or ksh or something?  So put
>
> eval $(lesspipe)
> alias more=less
> export PAGER=less

That is similar to what I ended up doing.......but finding out how to do it and what editor to use initially was not by
any means "simple".

> in /etc/profile and life is good.  Then leave less and more where they are
> in the filesystem,  and someone who NEEDS to run more (eg. when the /usr
> filesystem's broke) can do so by unaliasing more or just running it with a
> full path.

Makes a lot of sense to me.......leave the twiddling to the more experienced user who has a pretty good idea what's
what.......for rookie newbies, make things as straight forward as possible; having default access to the two
pgup/pgdn keys that are on practically any i386 based system keyboard, fits that description, IMHO.

> > I don't mean to be rude here, but quite honestly this sounds like something that may have
> > applied years ago when running resource and hardware limited systems.  I'll repeat my original

> Sure.  But engineering with these anchient ideas in mind is largely what
> makes linux so stable and reliable.

I'd really hate to think of adding these two keys (or the arrow scroll keys) to a utilitly such as more had the
possibility of upsetting linux's stability. <grin>

> Besides which,  when you're first setting up your system,  it's quite
> possible that you might incorrectly configure some things that would make
> less unusable,  like screen sizes and attributes.

Hmmm.......I never ran across anything that gave me the ability to change these parameters in the base install.

> > page up/down and backscroll. "   If it takes a second floppy disk to round out a decent set of
> > emergency programs then what's the big deal about that?  In fact, IMHO, the benefits gained by

> You can only put one in the drive at a time,  unfortunately. :)

And can't take it out again to run another program on a second disk?  This is LINUX we're talking about, right??
<big grin while playing devils advocate>

Thanks for the comments Will........:-)