RE: Microsoft mouse in X11

Check the bottom of your Microsoft mouse. If it is a version 2.1 or higher,
you have become the victim of the Microsoft behemoth. For some reason, which
has yet to be adequately explained, the MS Mice above version 2.0 do not
work with the newest versions of XFree. I have dissected many a mouse and
still have no answers. Microsoft is apparently now in the business of making
"Windows Only" hardware. Still it works fine using gpm in text mode.

http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/index.html#MSMouse21A

Timm Gleason
Hardware Engineer