Microsoft mouse in X11

Okay, I'm a complete beginner in Linux and I really need help in trying to configure the X-windows system. I can't configure the mouse to work at all. I read on XFree's site that I needed to download the gpm1-13 package and use the mouseman protocol. Unfortunately, this requires libc6. I already have libc5 installed, and libc6 conflicts with this package. However, libc5 is required by too many other packages. Do I have to upgrade the libc5 package? How do I work around this problem?
I should also add that the libc6 and gpm1-13 packages were from the unstable catagory, whereas the libc5 package was a stable one. Could this be a problem?

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.
Paul Bernays