Re: Running X11 over a network

In article <87emzt46kz.fsf@pfaffben.user.msu.edu>, Ben Pfaff
<pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes
>Try this, which is slightly different:
>* Give to the laptop.
>* Give to the desktop.
>* Install any X software you want, but no xserver package, on the laptop.
>* Install only xserver-* (whichever you need), xbase, xlib6g on the server.

How CPU/RAM heavy are these 3 only?
Is it absolutely necessary t run them on the 486?

>* On the laptop do `export DISPLAY=' in bash.

Ah, that makes more sense.

>* Run `startx', then `xhost +' on the 486.

Presumably I could put the xhost line in the startx script?
Whereabouts should it go?

I am still confused as to how I would specify which window manager
I want to use and which computer it goes on?

>* Run your xclients from the laptop command line.
>   I am also interested in how to run console aplications in this
>   way too.
>You can just telnet from one machine to the other or run an xterm.

Doh! Of course :)

Is there anyway to run them locally without cp'ing them to the local
HD? And speaking of which, is there a way to cp across a LAN or would
I have to FTP them or use Samba or something?

And one more quick question: Do I need to tell each computer the IP
address of the other one?

Ian Lynagh - ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk

Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.