Running X11 over a network

Hi all

I have a small problem and wonder if anyone can help me?

I have 2 computers both of which will shortly be running
Hamm and both of which will have BNC network cards. One
of them, a laptop, has a fast CPU and piles of memory
but a NeoMagic video card  :(
The other, an old 486, has a slow CPU and very little memory,
but (I hope) a supported video card. So I want to set it up
so that X runs on the laptop but displays on the Pentium.

By talking to various people this is what I have got so far.
any corrections gratefully received:

* Install Hamm and, when prompted for IP addresses, give
  192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 (even though they may both be
  connecting to the 'net via a modem with a fixed IP address)
* install X on the laptop only (?)
* on the 486 type "xhost +"
* on the laptop type "DISPLAY=ip:0.0 ; export DISPLAY" (I am using Bash)
* on the laptop I type "startx"

Somehow this doesn't seem quite right to me.

I am also interested in how to run console aplications in this
way too.

Thanks in advance
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh - ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk
http://home.sn.no/~balchen/igloo/

Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.