Re: gcc problems

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Jeff Shilt wrote:
>   I am using the Debian 2.0 distribution, and recently installed the
> various development packages.  When I used a configure script for a
> program, it says:
>   checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
>   (other stuff)
>   checking for c++... no
>   checking for g++... no
>   checking for gcc... yes
>   checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc ) works... no
>
> So, i tried running gcc on one of the files from the command line and get
> the message:
>   gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory
>
> Here's the packages I have installed:
>   gcc         2.7.2.3-4
>   libg++272   2.7.2.8-0.1	(standard and development)
>   libc6       2.0.7pre1-4	(standard and development)
>   binutils    2.8.1.0.23-1
>   cpp         2.7.2.3-4
>   kernel-headers  2.0.32

You need to install the g++ and libstdc++ packages. They are new
in Debian-2.0 (introduced only a couple? of weeks ago).

The big advantage to those packages is that
  - the g++ comes from egcs, and thus are supposed to be _much_ better
    at compiling c++ code
  - There's a new libstdc++ package. That in itslef isn't much of an
    advantage, but in this case it means it's got a differnt maintainer
    than the old libg++272 package (me, and I've not had much time to
    spend on libg++272 lately).

Oh, and you'll probably also want to install the libstdc++ -dev package,
I'm sure.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.