gcc problems

  I am using the Debian 2.0 distribution, and recently installed the
various development packages.  When I used a configure script for a
program, it says:
  checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
  (other stuff)
  checking for c++... no
  checking for g++... no
  checking for gcc... yes
  checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc ) works... no

So, i tried running gcc on one of the files from the command line and get
the message:
  gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory

Here's the packages I have installed:
  gcc         2.7.2.3-4
  libg++272   2.7.2.8-0.1	(standard and development)
  libc6       2.0.7pre1-4	(standard and development)
  binutils    2.8.1.0.23-1
  cpp         2.7.2.3-4
  kernel-headers  2.0.32

and also
  libc5       5.4.38-1		(for compatability)

If anyone can help getting me compilin' would be wonderful.
		Thanks,
                  Jef