Re: UART's???

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Dave Elliot wrote:

> 1)  I have a 16450 UART in the system, and am wondering if that will support
> 33.6.  If not, what is the top speed available for 16450?  I really don't
> feel the need to buy a new one(ie:16550A), so I guess I'm stuck with what
> I've got.

hi,

But from my experience, a UART chip 16540 would give you at most 19.2
kbps. If you increase the speed, you will get lots of crc errors and
that will actually slow you down. Especially if you will be using ftp.

your best bet is:

1. Replace your external modem with an internal 33.6kbps modems.  Internal
modems have embedded 6550a UART chips.

2. Buy/Replace your IDE card with a new IDE card which has the 16550a chip
on it.

regards,

== ========== Andre M. Varon  Lasaltech Incorporated
== ==    ==== Technical Head  Fax-Tel: (034)435-0836