Error reading floppy

Hello,

I am a new user of Debian 1.3.1 (kernel 2.0.29).  I am having trouble
mounting my floppy drive in Linux.  I have installed linux on my machine
without any floppies and am currently booting it via loadlin.  I believe I
need to use the floppy boot disk if i ever want to upgrade my kernel.
Linux does detect my floppy /dev/fd0 at startup but I cannot mount it.
When i issue the mount command with my msdos formatted floppy in the drive,
the drive light is lit but nothing happens.  below is the mount command and
an error that is printed once i eject the floppy.

# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt -t msdos
end_request: i/o error, dev 02:00, sector 0
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Any assistance is very helpful - i think my system is usless without the
floppy boot disk.

-Paul Morano
pmorano@ntplx.net