UART's???

Hello,
  I just my modem up and running on my new linux system.  Unfortunately, the
laptop I'm using doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I'm downloading the files off the
net.  I just bought a 33.6 modem to help speed things up about(up from a
lowly 14.4).  Now, the question I have is this:

1)  I have a 16450 UART in the system, and am wondering if that will support
33.6.  If not, what is the top speed available for 16450?  I really don't
feel the need to buy a new one(ie:16550A), so I guess I'm stuck with what
I've got.

2)  I've tried to adjust the speed in ppp.options_out(I believe it's that
file) to 115200, and it gives me a message that that speed isn't supported.
Now, when I typed in 119200(by accident), it didn't give me an error
message.  Why is that?  Does this mean that I can't run 115200 baud?  I
would appreciate any help you can give me.

I've also used setserial to set the speed to hi (spd_hi)  When I tried
spd_vhi(or whatever it said in the book I'm using), it connected, but didn't
do a thing.  So I'm assuming that I've got to go with hi-speed using 16450,
is this correct?  Any help on speeding up my access would help tremendously.
If I'm stuck with a 14.4 speed, I'm going to be severely disappointed.
Thanks an advance..

-dave